Sunday, August 17, 2003

still the weekend...

got this from Danelle's blog...

Weekly Wrap-Up

1. Do you enjoy arts & crafts? Why or why not?

Yeah, I do. I have a good eye for detail; I like to watch things take form or look for subtle changes of color. However, I think I'm a bit more visual than tactile.

2. What was your favorite arts & crafts project as a child? Why?

Definitely pottery. My brother, Steve, was a potter and taught me how to throw when I was 11. Making dioramas for class was always fun too. I once tried to replicate an aquatic biosphere (out of unflavored gelatin) to study the rate of decomposition and mold in Freshman Biology...too weird.

3. What kinds of arts & crafts do you do now? Has this changed over time? If so, how and why?

I still dabble in photography...but I haven't shot B/W in more than five years, nor do I do creative stuff like Denny. I have done a good amount of photography in field and through my travels. I have 4-5000 slides of Latin America, 75% of which are probably archaeological sites.

4. What kind of arts & crafts would you like to learn how to do? Why?

Probably painting. I have a sister who is an awesome artist/musician. I remember watching her do unreal things when I was five - just mindblowing. I wish I had 1% of her artistic talent... Getting really deep into pottery would be cool as well. Glazes are fascinating...as well as certain styles of Native American (e.g., Santa Clara Pueblo or Acoma Pueblo). Different sketching mediums interest me as well.

5. Describe your ideal arts & crafts environment, whether it's at home, school, work, or elsewhere.

If money weren't a factor, I wouldn't mind putzing around in a wood workshop. There's something about sanding...so calming. Working with a lathe is good fun too!

For work, it would be handling pottery sherds in a laboratory. Now, the washing and cataloging get old fast, but I love vessel reconstruction and color reproduction (pencils) of diagnostic pieces. Pen and ink work is okay too, but I like the exacting work with color.

No comments: